Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Swing-Out Style (Strictly for Solid Senders)

Ok, Ok, enough of the alliteration, but I want to start posting a few examples of Iconic American Vintage style every week.  Somewhere between getting our son, Nathaniel, ready for school and doing the million other things she does to take care of us, my wife's is passed the digi cam and I ask her to snap a few pics for me.  If she's had her coffee, all is right with the world, but if she hasn't then she's shooting blind. Oh, and I'm so not a model. I have two poses, Sears catalog, and Macy's sales flier. I thought if Juliette laid on the floor and shot the picture looking upward, I could go from 5'9" to 6'1". Well, it worked for Godzilla didn't it? I guess what I'm saying stay focused on the style!


So today I'm doing a Swing-Out Style, Collegiate-Inspired look. The shoes are two-tone, alligator-embossed, saddle shoes (though you can't see the contrast part in this pic). The Hollywood-waisted (no waistband) Barrow trousers are hung on vintage suspenders and drape lovely. See how they barely touch the leg and note the lack of creases, which adds to the slouchy feel (also means no ironing!). The shirt is our Depression (slim) fit and features our Kent button-down collar.  The tie is our Repeal Club Rep Stripe, with rich bands of burgundy and navy plus a sporty, RC crest at the bottom.  The jacket is our pleated, patch-pocket, Period Perfect Navy Blazer.  This grab-and-go jacket, can easily be worn 2 to 3 days a week and finishes any vintage-inspired outfit. The back is double-vented,  has a half-belt, and some great pleating details, so your style is strong on the send-out and return. And of course, the cap is our vintage newsboy. This one is a lovely, English wool herringbone.  I like to drape mine to one side for a little extra flair.  Ties, caps and tees are currently available through our E-bay pop-up shop.
http://stores.ebay.com/Prohibition-Clothing-Company?_trksid=p4340.l2563
 The tailoring website in underway, so stay tuned.


So that's today's look. I've been studying Swing and Lindy Hop at Dance Manhattan (http://www.dancemanhattan.com/) for about a year now, and an outfit like this certainly helps you look like a solid sender. Now if I could just smooth out my Texas Tommy.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thataboy, leave a comment. Just remember to speak low.